Showing 20 from 28 ItemsToggle Filters
The Balay Negrense (Hiligaynon for Negrense House), also known as Victor Fernandez Gaston Ancestral House is a museum in Silay City, Negros Occidental in the Philippines, showcasing the lifestyle of a late 19th-century Negrense sugar baron. It is notable for being the first museum to be established in the province of Negros Occidental. Wikipedia Photo: Elmer B. Domingo
Barangay III, Cinco De Noviembre Street, Lungsod ng Silay, 6116 Negros Occidental
These houses were built in 1904 that costs $1,309 per unit. It was built along the humid architecture designs by Filipino, Chinese, and Japanese laborers. The area was called the Officer’s lane. The huge acacia trees shading the “barns” were also planted at about the same time.
2088 Cardinal St, Clark Freeport, Mabalacat, 2010 Pampanga
The Sandugo was a blood compact, performed in the island of Bohol in the Philippines, between the Spanish explorer Miguel López de Legazpi and Datu Sikatuna the chieftain of Bohol on March 16, 1565, to seal their friendship as part of the tribal tradition. This is considered as the first treaty of friendship between the Spaniards and Filipinos. “Sandugo” is a Visayan word which means “one blood”. The Sandugo is depicted in both the provincial flag and the official seal of the government in Bohol. It also features the image of the blood compact. The top of the seal explains the history behind the Sandugo event that occurred in Bohol, the fleet and the location where the Spaniards anchored and the place where the treaty was conducted which was dated on March 16, 1565. wikipedia Photo: Chelsea Vitug Sabino
J.P Inting Street, Tagbilaran City, 6300 Bohol
Building 2122 – Former Post Commander’s office. Currently where the CDC President & CEO holds office. The original building was made of bamboo and nipa hut built in 1902 which served as Post Headquarters. It was built in 1906 with lumber and roofed with tar paper, and in 1912, it was constructed out of concrete. Through most of its history, this building served as the office of Post Commanders and executive officers. After World War II, the building has been occupied by 13th Air Force Commanders; and in 1979 by the US Facility Commander; until the Americans pulled out in 1991. It then became the office of the CABCOM Commanders and 600th Airbase Wing until PAF was moved to its present location. source: VisitClark.com photo: VisitClark.com
Bldg 2122, C.P. Garcia St., Clark Freeport Zone, E Quirino, Clark Freeport, Mabalacat, 2009 Pampanga
Calle Crisologo – Mena Crisologo Street The major attraction of Vigan is its mestizo district which is filled with Spanish-style houses that evoke a bygone era when its people lived prosperously because of the Manila-Acapulco maritime trade. For visitors who want to experience being transported back to this period in Philippine Spanish colonial time, a walk or a calesa ride through Vigan’s Calle Crisologo or Mena Crisologo Street is a must. The tour will take visitors more than a couple of hours and will cost around half a thousand pesos. You will be guided through four blocks of cobblestone streets lined with heritage houses of the families of the Filipino-Chinese traders who rose to prominence during that time of vigorous trading in abel cloth, indigo, gold, tobacco and other goods that were transported to Vigan from all over the North. The houses are simple but lovely subjects ready for picture-perfect shots with their roofs of red tiles, thick walls, huge doors and stair cases leading to rooms of high ceilings and sliding capiz shell windows. Having survived the many natural and man-made calamities throughout the centuries, the families who own these treasures have endeavored to maintain them. Visitors can admire […]
Crisologo, Vigan City, Ilocos Sur
The Casa Gorordo Museum was built by Alejandro Reynes y Rosales in the 19th century. It was originally a two-storey house. In 1863, it was bought by a Spanish merchant, Juan Isidro de Gorordo. Between 1863 to 1979, four generations of the Gorordo family lived in this house, one is the very first Cebuano bishop, Juan Gorordo. Cebu City Museum The house was built with coral stone blocks, terra-cotta roof tiles, and molave (tugas) hardwood flooring. It also has wide windows with sliding panels that are fitted with capiz shells, a typical Spanish architecture during the Spanish colonial period. It is known locally as the “bahay na bato”. History of Casa Gorordo Museum In 1980, the house was purchased by the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. under its Cultural Heritage Program. It was then opened as a public museum in 1983 after comprehensive renovation and restoration. The National Historical Institute declared the house as a National Historical Landmark in September 1991. The museum now exhibits Philippine culture and lifestyle of the mid-19th and early 20th century. Cebu Gorordo Museum What Can be Seen Inside the Museum? Inside the museum are ornamented antique furniture, costumes, paintings, and religious images like life-sized and […]
No. 35 Lopez Jaena Street, Barangay Parian, Cebu City
The Cebu Provincial Capitol Building was built during the American occupation in 1937 during the term of Governor Sotero Cabahug. It was designed by Architect Juan Marcos Arellano, a famous Filipino architect who also designed other famous buildings like Manila Metropolitan Theatre, National Museum of the Philippines, and Manila Central Post Office Building. It was commemorated on June 14, 1838 by Philippine Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon. The Capitol building is considered as one of the oldest and most attractive structures in the whole country. It is declared as a National Historical Landmark because of its part in the history of Cebu as well as the country. During World War II, the building sustained some damages but was immediately repaired after the war has ended. At the front facade of the building, a proverb of democracy that states “The Authority of the Government Emanates from the People” is boldly written on the concave at the upper part of the building. Today, the Cebu Provincial Capitol is the seat of the provincial government of the province of Cebu, Philippines. Credit: Cebucitytour Photo credit: CECIL JAENA
Cebu Capitol, Escario Street, Cebu City, Cebu, Cebu City, Cebu
The century-old Enchanted Balete Tree in Lazi, Siquijor. A natural spring emanates from its roots, where doctor fish were introduced, giving visitors the unique experience of having their dead skin cells cleaned by these fish. Source & Photo credit: Lawrence Ruiz
The cemetery is the interment place for thousands of mostly American veterans and Filipino Scouts who served up in the United States Army, and who died in divergence in World War II on military bases in the Philippines. President Barack Obama signed a law (Public Law 112-260) in January 2013 to operate and maintain Clark Veterans Cemetery following an agreement between the Republic of the Philippines and the United States. It was signed in December 2013 making Clark ABMC’s 25th cemetery. The construction of Manila American Cemetery in 1948 led to disinterment of the non-World War II dead from four post cemeteries onto Clark Air Force Base. The eruption of Mount Pinatubo in June 1991 led the U.S. Air Force to evacuate and Clark AFB was transferred to the Philippines in November 1991. The cemetery sustained to be open for burials after the transfer, but it had been damaged in the eruption and fell into disrepair.
Manuel A. Roxas Highway, Clark Freeport Zone, Pampanga
The flagpole has always been in its present location throughout the history of Clark up until now. It was raised in 1906 by $220. There are four memorial markers namely (1) Monument to the 26th Philippine Cavalry and the US Army: (2) Monument honoring the US Army Air Corps – Philippine Air Force; (3) Roxas Memorial Marker in honor of Philippine President Manuel A. Roxas who died at Clark on April 15, 1948; and (4) Memorial marker commemorating the historic turnover to Philippine government in a formal ceremony held on 26 November 1991.
Clark Freeport, Mabalacat, Pampanga
The Fort San Pedro (or the Fuerte de San Pedro in Spanish) is a military defence structure in Cebu. It was built by the Spaniards under the command of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, the first governor of Captaincy General of the Philippines. The original fort built right after the arrival of Legaspi and his expedition was made of wood. It was then replaced in the 17th century with a stone fort to repel Muslim raiders. Today’s fort was built in 1738. It is the oldest triangular bastion fort in the country. It served as the embryo of the very first Spanish settlement in the Philippines. At the end of the 19th century during the Philippine Revolution, the fort was attacked and taken by the Filipino Revolutionaries who used it as a stronghold. Fort San Pedro is triangular in shape. It has two sides facing the sea and the third side is facing the land. The sides facing the sea were safeguarded with cannon and the front with a strong fence made with wood. Its three bastions are named La Concepcion (southwest), Ignacio de Loyola (southeast), and San Miguel (northeast). Fourteen cannons were settled in their locations and most of them […]
A. Pigafetta Street, Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
Fort Santiago is a citadel first built by Spanish conquistador, Miguel López de Legazpi for the new established city of Manila in the Philippines. The defense fortress is part of the structures of the walled city of Manila referred to as Intramuros. The fort is one of the most important historical sites in Manila. Wikipedia Photo credit: VolkswagenKing28
Intramuros, Manila, 1002 Metro Manila
Tag: Goddess of Peace Shrine Clark Freeport Zone Historical Landmark
Clark Freeport Zone
Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in San Jose del Monte City, Bulacan Visit: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grotto-of-Our-Lady-of-Lourdes/ Photo credit: Ruby Bea
Sta.Maria- Tungkong-Mangga Road, San Jose del Monte City, Bulacan
The Heritage of Cebu Monument is a representation and illustration of sculptures depicting significant and symbolic events in the history of Cebu back from the time of Rajah Humabon to the recent beatification of the Cebuano martyr, Pedro Calungsod. The monument was built by the local artist, Eduardo Castrillo. Its construction started in July 1997. He and the late Senator Marcelo Fernan funded the construction together with other donations from private individuals and organizations. The construction was finished and inaugurated on December 8, 2000. The scenes illustrated in the monument are the conversion of Rajah Humabon and his followers to Christianity, the local revolution against the Spanish rule, a Roman Catholic Mass, and the fateful fight on April 21, 1521 in the island of Mactan where native chieftain Lapu-Lapu killed Ferdinand Magellan. The structures carved in the monument includes the Basilica Del Sto. Nino, Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral, The Saint John the Baptist Church, Magellan’s Cross, a Spanish Galleon, Statues of Sergio Osmena Sr. and Blessed Pedro Calungsod. Cebu Heritage Monument People Cebu Heritage Monument Worship History of Cebu Heritage Monument Cebu Heritage Monument HistoryThe spot where the monument stands now, the Parian, is very historical. It used to be a […]
Cor Sikatuna Street, Pari - Alu, Cebu City, 6000 Cebu, Philippines
The poising Kamikaze Shrine is a quick stop-over for a historic idea that draws people especially Japanese tourists as it lies on the central facade of the leading Japanese airfield during the World War II. It’s beyond undeniable that this shrine left a mark in our history during the WWII. The isolated figure of Kamikaze is secured by a gate which was built by the courage of young pilots who fought in the historic war back then. This marker is also a proof of the shared peace and long-told history between the Philippines and Japan.
Prince Balagtas Ave, Clark Freeport, Mabalacat, Pampanga
This was constructed in 1953 and serves as the only movie house in Clark. It has a stage with numerous cultural shows and stage plays. This building was the second theater at Clark that bears the name Kelly. The original Kelly Theater was built in 1947 (where the present day IT Center). It was initially erected as a gymnasium, and then later converted into a theater. President Manuel Roxas delivered his speech here on April 15, 1948. Shortly after, a heart attack took his life. The Kelly theaters were named after B-17 pilot Capt. Kolin Kelly, who lost his life in action against the Japanese forces in 1941.Capt. Kelly was declared America’s first hero of WWII by US President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Clark Freeport, Mabalacat, Pampanga
In 1521, the Spaniards, led by Ferdinand Magellan,arrived in the Philippines for a quest of exploration and gaining more colonies. They first landed in the island of Leyte where they had received a warm welcome from local Filipino leaders there. They then later decided to try befriending the other Filipino leaders in other islands to make it easier for them to conquer the country. However, though most of the Filipino leaders were kind to them and accepted their friendship, not all submitted to their blueprint. Lapu-Lapu, the chieftain of Mactan hesitated to welcome the guests. He, being a great leader, perceived the hidden intent of Magellan and his company. He defended his land that led to the famous battle of Mactan in April 27, 1521. During the battle, Spanish soldiers were defeated and Ferdinand Magellan was killed by Lapu-Lapu. Because of Lapu-Lapu’s heroic act to defend his land, a 20-meter bronze statue was erected on the very spot where the battle took place. Right now, the statue of Lapu-Lapu is located in an enclosed park at Punta Engaño in the island of Mactan in Lapu-Lapu City. This landmark is being preserved for historical conservation. The statue as well as the […]
Punta Engaño Rd, Lapu-Lapu City, 6015 Cebu, Philippines
History of Magellan’s Cross Magellan’s Cross holds a very big part of the history of Cebu. It is believed to be a Christian cross planted by the Portuguese and Spanish explorers headed by Ferdinand Magellan. It was planted upon their arrival in Cebu on March 15, 1521. That day also marked the birth of Christianity in the land. The original cross was believed by the people of old to have miraculous healing powers so they started chipping it away. Because of that, the government officials was prompted to supposedly encased it in another wooden cross made from tindalo.It is now housed in a small chapel. Rumors say though that the original cross was destroyed or disappeared after the death of Magellan. Today, the cross is housed in an octagonal pavilion called the “kiosk”. It is one of the main attractions for tourists because it is a part of country’s history. Location of Magellan’s Cross Cebu Magellan’s cross is housed in a small chapel located near the Basilica Minore Del Sto. Nino on Magallanes Street (Magallanes being the Spanish name of Magellan), Cebu City, right in front of the Cebu City Hall. credit: cebucitytour
P. Burgos St, Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
You don’t need to waste your time in going any further just to witness the past. A time machine in Clark named Nayong Pilipino will indulge your desire in an educational tour tackling the historic events and relentless culture of the country, all seen in one location. Nayong Pilipino is probably a representation in a miniature-version of the dissimilar Philippines and its culture. This history-learning facility, recreational, and leisure, is divided in several geographically-sectionalized exhibit areas. From improvised villages, old-Spanish plaza, life-size statues, and replicas of landmarks, outdoor amphitheater, to some ancestral houses of Emilio Aguinaldo, Apolinario Mabini, and Jose Rizal – The Nayong Pilipino retells the chronicle of our yesteryears and shows our roots that molded us even up to this age. Entrance Fee: Adult P150 Senior P120 Children P100 Photo credit: Vicky Vega
Nayong Pilipino, Centennial Rd, Clark Field, Mabalacat, 2010 Pampanga